VACANCY: Grants Programme Manager
Location: Tirana, Albania
Employment Type: Full time employment
Application deadline: 7 February 2020
“LevizAlbania” (LA) is a project of the Swiss Development Cooperation, implemented by the Consortium of three Albanian organizations, Open Society Foundation for Albania (OSFA), Partners Albania and Co-Plan for the period 2019 - 2023. LevizAlbania is an innovative project designed to have a catalytic effect on local democracy in Albania. It will enhance local democracy by cultivating a locally rooted, demand-driven and influential civil society at sub-national level across the country.
Grants Programme Manager participates in preparing and implementing the grant-giving processes for CSOs and individuals, which aim to achieve the main goals and objectives of LevizAlbania. She/He manages PortaVendore, the information and media platform implemented in the frame of the project. Working with other staff members, She/He actively participates in the process of annual priorities identification for LevizAlbania, which are a milestone for the intervention instruments. She/He has to be skillful at analyzing local democracy and civil society development and understanding the various challenges at national and local levels monitoring and evaluating applications and grants. She/He is responsible for periodically reporting on the whole process of grant giving and also for analyzing expected results as well. She/He needs to be highly aware of the internal workings of the organization/project.
Responsibilities/Duties (Summary of key functions)
Call for Applications and Selection Process
- Develops the Call for Proposals package: Call for proposal document application forms and materials, reporting requirements, and other program information and management documents, in cooperation with other LA Project staff;
- Responsible for the screening and the scoring process of the concept ideas and full project proposals, in collaboration with the Grants Managers, and under supervision of the Team Leader, for funding eligibility and relative strengths and weaknesses, in order to make recommendations for decision making by the Grants Board;
- Coordinates with the Finance Manager on financial evaluation of applicants;
- Ensures that Grant Scheme is well designed to meet the project needs;
- Organizes in cooperation with other LA Project staff the outreach and information sessions for CSOs and other actors on the grant program;
- Contributes to the Competition Ideas organization and design;
- Collects supplementary information on grantee candidate organizations, as required in the evaluation of potential grants;
Grant Management, Grant Monitoring, and Follow up
- Ensures effective management of Grants Program;
- Ensures good communication and effective collaboration with grantees and partners, by coaching and mentoring them, for proper implementation of their projects;
- Manages grants in a manner that ensures grant regulations and contractual obligations are met;
- Monitors technical implementation of grants to ensure adherence to proposed methodology and activity plan, including management of timelines and deliverables;
- Monitors and participates in grantees activities and monitoring field visits and other on the field meetings and activities;
- Coordinates with Finance Manager on the reporting by grantees and disbursement of funds;
- Provides recommendations for grant giving process improvement, based on grant implementation and lessons learnt;
- Effective and efficient utilization of the grant scheme to produce desired results;
Monitoring Reporting and Dissemination of LA results
- Contributes to the design of LA Monitoring Plan and to ensure its implementation in collaboration with the M&E and Civil Society Manager;
- Contributes to the drafting of the progress reports and annual LA Project Reports;
- Contributes to proper dissemination of results and impact of the grantees and Project outputs, in close collaboration with the PR & Communication Expert;
- Contributes to the drafting of the Scope of Works for short term assignments related to the grants portfolio and overseeing short-term experts;
- Contributes to design and coordinate activities related to coalition building process;
- Provides strategic advice, technical inputs and recommendations to LA senior management;
- Ensure the participation and involvement of relevant stakeholders in LA implementation so that the process is inclusive, participatory and transparent;
- Proposes and co-work on up scaling of successful ideas;
- Ensures effective management of the Media Development Component of the project;
- Responsible for the management of PortaVendore and other media development activities (capacity building, networking and independent reporting), in collaboration with the PR & Communication Expert.
Other LA project activities
- Ensure timely and efficient implementation of the LA project activities in accordance with the YPO
- Participates and carries out other LA Project activities as required;
- Advanced university degree (Masters) related to democratic governance and development, such as political science, economics, law and other social sciences.
Experience and skills required:
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in direct administering of grant giving processes;
- Good practice in developing grant proposals;
- Ability to prepare high quality policy briefs, analytical reports, and technical research reflecting good practice in democratic governance & citizen inclusion;
- Good knowledge of M&E processes;
- Good knowledge of media environment;
- A good record in working with CSOs and/or Civic initiatives;
- Resourcefulness, good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Skills in training, process facilitation, strategic planning, and partnership-building;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with and between different levels and types of project personnel and counterparts;
- Excellent PC user skills: word processing, spread sheets, databases and web-based research.
Strong skills in written communications in English particularly in issue-based papers and reporting; Excellent spoken English is also required.
Remuneration budgeted for the position is as per the industry standards. Offers shall be commensurate with the qualifications, experience and salary history of the selected candidate.
The application should include a cover letter and the CV in English. Other supporting documents are welcomed. Please indicate in e-mail subject specification about your application: Application - Grants Program Manager - Name Surname. The application should arrive not later than 7 February 2020 via email to: email@example.com.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
LevizAlbania is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested groups without any discrimination!